Sleeping Better: A Hands-On Approach to 24 hour Postural Care for Pediatric and Neurologic Patients- Live Seminar
Date: 05/05/18- 01/01/70
Location/Facility: Mary Bridge Children’s Therapy
City/State: Tacoma-Area (Puyallup), WA
Seminar Sponsor: Professional Therapies Northwest
Phone Number: 888-365-1760
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website/Register: Click Here
This is an active, hands-on course in which participants will learn to provide physical supports for clients in positions of sleep and rest so that they are empowered to rest straight, minimize pain, and avoid body shape distortions over time. We will cover background first:
- What is the evidence base?
- Why postural care is important even out of the wheelchair?
- What difference can it make in the lives of clients and their first circle of support?
Then, we will jump into hands-on learning: Participants will have the opportunity to experience resting in a supported position, placing their learning partner in a supported resting position, and talk about how to measure success. Participants will leave with a list of resources for further learning, a shopping list, and the skills needed to begin implementing with their clients on Monday!
Goals and Objectives:
- Participants will learn about the effects of gravity over time in positions of sleep and rest
- Participants will learn how they can make gravity work in their client’s favor over time to achieve therapeutic objectives
- Participants will learn to evaluate client body shapes, link them to sleep positions, and develop a client centered plan for “sleeping better”
- Participants will experience sleep supports from both the client and the caregiver role and will have the opportunity to try a variety of commercially available products.
- Participants will learn effective multisensory strategies for educating patients and direct supporters (paid and unpaid) so that they understand both “how” and “why” well enough to implement the plan on their own in the middle of the night.
Practice Setting: Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Developmental Disabilities, Neuromuscular Diagnoses
Contact Hours: 6
Registration Fee: $175 prior to April 25, 2018; $225 on or after April 26, 2018
Click here for more Nuerological therapy course options.