Location/Facility: Methodist Hospital
City/State: San Antonio, TX
Discipline(s): OT PT SLP
Subject: Assorted Topics
Seminar Sponsor: Education Resources, Inc.
Phone Number: 508-359-6533
Contact Email: email@example.com
Website/Register: Click Here
Patients undergoing therapy routinely take both prescription drugs and OTC medicines that ultimately influence treatment outcomes. Therapists with knowledge of these medicines practice safer, more effective therapy. This one day course will examine Rx and non-Rx medicine used in the therapy setting and will cover side effects that influence treatment and outcomes. Information will focus on drug actions and patient errors when treating pain, as well as common disorders of the musculoskeletal, neurologic, cardiorespiratory, and endocrine systems. Common OTC drugs and herbals are examined for occult hazards and drug interactions. Electronic resources for free drug-related information will be demonstrated.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will:
1. Describe basic factors that control drug uptake, bioavailability, and metabolism.
2. List benefits, limitations, and adverse effects of drug families used to treat inflammation and pain.
3. Classify drug families and drugs used to treat disorders and diseases of the musculoskeletal, neurological, cardiorespiratory, and endocrine systems.
4. Describe how drug choices and administration influence therapy outcomes, including common errors in drug administration committed by patients.
5. Define potential harms and drug interactions for over-the-counter medications and herbals.
Click here for more Education Resources OT and PT courses.